UPDATE – as of June 2015:
Grant’s Woods is currently closed to the public while we complete our office renovation project. For updates on the project, please sign up for our e-newsletter – here.
Grant’s Woods is a 21 hectare parcel of upland woods located on Division Road in Severn Township, 3 km west of Orillia. William Grant donated this property to the Conservancy in memory of his brother Jack, who passed away in 2002. The Grant family had owned the property since 1908. A former house on the property has been extensively renovated to create the Conservation Centre with office. Our gazebo and office are wheelchair accessible and the Periwinkle trail is also accessible.
Unique features of this property
- old-growth upland forest has not been logged for over a century
- many large specimens of Hard Maple, White Ash, Red Oak, White Pine, American Beech and Eastern Hemlock
- soil is deep moist clay and sand, ideal for tall, straight, healthy trees
- nesting area for Scarlet Tanagers, Black-throated Green Warblers, Broad-winged Hawk and Pileated Woodpeckers
- Indigo Buntings and Mourning Warblers nest along woodland edges
- in the shade of the forest, Christmas Fern, Maidenhair Fern and many spring wildflowers occur
- small cool streams in shallow ravines collect together to form on the headwaters of the North River
- a network of 4 km looped walking trails has been developed, with connecting footbridges and interpretive stations
Best time to visit: spring for wildflowers, early summer for birds, fall for colourful trees; interpretive trails open year-round, with off-road parking
Please note the outdoor compostable washrooms are closed November to April (depending on the weather).
The Story of Grant’s Woods – Video
The story of Grant’s Woods with staff interviews, pictures and video of the property through the years.
You can help to ensure that properties like
Grant’s Woods are protected forever.
Grant’s Woods Fungi October 2013 – list compiled by Dr. Nancy Ironside, October 2013
Grant’s Woods Trail Map (click thumbnail below to see the full version)
From Orillia, follow Hwy 12, right on Fairgrounds Road to Division Road; turn right and follow 200 m to Grant’s Woods on the right. Look for the Conservancy sign.